Sauteed Shiitake Mushrooms: Healthy Option for Longevity
Sauteed shiitake mushrooms make one of the best-sauteed mushrooms dishes. Shiitake is one of the healthiest edible mushrooms in the world. In Japanese and other Asian countries, shiitake is believed to be a symbol of longevity. In addition, the flavor is believed to be ten times higher than button mushroom.
With health stimulating agents such as lentinan and full of other nutrients, shitake has been used as an alternative to treating cancer. It also has the ability to protect liver, antifungal, antibacterial, blood sugar stabilization, lower cholesterol, and reduce atherosclerosis.
In this article, you can explore two recipes of sauteed shiitake mushrooms as follows:
• The delicious recipe of sauteed shiitake mushrooms
• Sauteed Shiitake Mushrooms in Japanese Style
Sauteed mushrooms are a good option to cook shiitake because it is easy and fast to do. Serve sauteed shiitake mushrooms with rice, pasta, potato, steak, vegetables, and even bread.
The delicious recipe of sauteed shiitake mushrooms
Firstly, you need to prepare the ingredients that are:
- 1 pound shiitake mushroom,
- 3 tablespoon chicken broth,
- 2 cloves garlic,
- olive oil: 2 tablespoons
- feta cheese: 2 tablespoons
- chopped fresh rosemary: 2 tablespoons.
- pepper to taste.
Then, you need to follow this cooking direction:
- Clean mushroom with damped cloth and remove the stem. Slice it.
- Take a large pan and put it on the stove over medium heat.
- Add broth and let it to steam.
- Add mushroom, stir, and cover it. Cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Open the cover and let it cook for 3 minutes more until the liquid reduced.
- Toss olive oil, feta cheese, and rosemary.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove to the plate immediately.
Note: If you vegetarian, you can change chicken broth with vegetable broth and get rid the cheese. You can change the herb as you prefer or use dried herb. If you do not have olive oil, you can use butter.
Sauteed Shiitake Mushrooms in Japanese Style
Shiitake is native to Japan hence the name is Japanese. For that reason, one best way to sauté shiitake is in Japanese style. If you want to know how to do it, here is the recipe of sauteed shiitake mushrooms in Japanese style.
Ingredients to prepare:
- ½ pound shiitake mushroom, clean and slice
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoon water
- ½ onion, sliced
- vegetable oil: 2 tablespoon
Cooking direction to follow:
- Heat up vegetable oil in medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and stir it until softened.
- Add mushroom and cook for about 8-10 minutes until its tender. Toss occasionally to spread the heat evenly.
- Add water and let it cook until the water is evaporated.
- Add teriyaki sauce and onion. Toss it carefully and immediately turn off the heat.
- Transfer sauteed shiitake mushrooms to the plate.
Note: Teriyaki sauce commonly gives you enough taste. However, you can add salt and sugar to fit your taste. If you want to make it more savory, you can replace water with chicken broth or beef broth.
Serve sauteed shiitake mushrooms immediately because hot dish tastes the best. If you want a true meal, serve the mushroom with rice (you can have brown rice for a healthier option) and eat it with a chopstick. If you want a fusion, you can pair it with other carbs such as pasta, mashed potato, and bread. You can also use sauteed shiitake mushrooms as a side dish for your steak or serve it with other meat and vegetable dishes.
Put it in the closed container and refrigerate it if you have some leftover. Sauteed shiitake mushrooms could last up to 5 days if you refrigerate it. Do not re-heat if you want the taste to stay the same. If you do not like the cold dish, you can let it at room temperature or warm it a bit. Enjoy it 🙂